Friday, October 19, 2012

Happy Falafel, Happier me.

 Lexington, Kentucky is a charming conurbation located at the tip of the mid south.  Renowned for its love of everything equine and bleeding blue when it comes to college basketball, this town is also a wonderful place for the arts. Being a lifelong foodie, I’m happy to report that the culinary arts are an important part of the ever growing cosmopolitan scene here. As a born and bred southern boy who enjoys traveling for food, I relish in the fact I can get some deep-fried deliciousness, a vegetarian dish, or some genuine street food without too much effort. Even better is when I can get all three options together in the same meal; enter the Happy Falafel.
 I have to admit I did a little happy dance when I heard a new Mediterranean place called Happy Falafel had just opened. I knew it would have to be where my first meal under $6 would take place, because this cuisine is most often quick, cheap, made fresh every order. Acknowledged as a Levantine dish of controversial origins, a falafel is typically served as street food in the U.S.  Happy Falafel serves up these deep fried patties consisting of ground chick peas, parsley, onion, and various spices placed in a split pita loaded with various veggies and topped with a hummus dressing in a standard but flavorful way.

Falafel pocket with a side of tabouli.
The restaurant is hidden away a bit on Eastern Ave, around the corner of E. Main St, but is easy enough to find being located directly across from Thoroughbred Park. Happy is a fitting description for this restaurant if you go by the paint job on the front of the door. Once inside the restaurant it gets even more colorful. The interior design is not heavy handed, having most of the decoration focused around the fireplace. It’s Mom and Pop meets Mediterranean sprinkled with a little University of Kentucky.
The prices are very fair averaging around $5-7. My falafel pocket, served with a 4oz side, cost $3.99 plus tax. The falafels were crunchy and seasoned nicely. The veggies were pickled but not soggy or too soft. My only complaint was the tabouli, a salad made a bulgur wheat, tomato, onion and olive oil among other things. The Happy Falafel version contained too much parsley, and was quite watery. Fear not, they offer many other sides, such as pickled cucumbers or hummus. Also, if you’re not into the vegetarian lunch scene, their menu is packed with affordable meat filled offerings, three of those at $5.49.
Having lived in Brooklyn for a few years, the whole experience brought me back to the days off sitting outside in the park having lunch and people watching. This is exactly what I did by getting my meal to go and enjoying a nice breezy Kentucky day. Great Food on a great afternoon is what I love about the South, and I love that it can be something unexpected.
Simply put, a great vegetarian, yet deep-fried option for lunch well under six bucks.

No comments:

Post a Comment